A traditional Bengali sweet made with paneer and stuffed with almonds and pistachios.
- 200 gm paneer from cow's milk
- 1 Tbsp maida (refined flour)
- 1/2 kg sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 tsp golden food color
- 1/8 tsp saffron
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 8 blanched and chopped almonds
- 8 blanched and chopped pistachios
IMix the saffron with the cardamom powder, almonds and the pistachios.Put the sugar and water over medium heat, to dissolve the sugar, stirring all the time.Meanwhile mash the paneer and maida together to a smooth consistency. Divide mixture into 6-8 and form round flats, put some mixture in the center and form into smooth round balls again. When the sugar is dissolved, add the food color and over high heat add the paneer balls. Cook over high heat for 15-20 minutes, adding water every 5 minutes, so that the sugar does not get too thick. Cool and serve.
- Maida / All purpose flour – 1-1/2 cups
- Ghee / Vegetable shortening – ½ cup
- Sugar – 2 cups
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Apple green food color – 2-3 pinches
- Sieve the flour first. Grease a plate with ghee and keep it ready.
- Heat the ghee or shortening in a pan and once it melts add the flour. Roast for 3-4 mins until the raw smell disappears over low flame.
- Place both sugar and water in a pan and let it cook until the sugar dissolves. Start cooking further over medium flame until the syrup forms a one-string consistency.
- Add vanilla essence and food color to the roasted flour.
- Pour the sugar syrup over the roasted flour and keep stirring briskly. No need to keep the pan with the flouron the stove.You can keep it on the counter and mix. A wooden spatula will be of great help to do this.
- You will see that hot sugar syrup starts melting the ghee in the roasted flour and the entire mixture becoming loose. Stir briskly with the spatula in a circular motion.
- It will take only about 2 minutes when you can see that the mixture coming together in a big mass.
- Immediately, pour this mixture into the readily kept greased plate and tap it gently on the counter until it is leveled. You can also use a butter paper to level the top evenly.
- While it is still warm using a knife draw lines according to the shape you prefer.
- Wait until it cools considerably and once again using the knife you can cut them into desired shape perfectly.
- Next >>